At present, the world has become very much competitive. One has to undergo through immense stress due to the hustle and bustle of life. All want to stand in the main stream which creates a rat race. People have numerous never ending desires and to full fill those they have to suffer a lot. So, reducing the pressure is very essential. The mechanism of relaxing oneself varies from person to person. Some loves to travel whereas most of us prefer to listen to music for trimming down the level of anxiety.
Music has fascinated human towards itself from ancient time only. But nowadays it has become the part and parcel of our lives. Listening music is the best way of amusement. From children to old person, everyone is just crazy before it. In fact music affects an unborn baby too. During stone era, people used to make music for hunting purposes to attract their prey. One can appreciate music in numerous ways and with numerous levels. It has penetrated into everybody’s life from parties to marriage ceremonies. Some people consider it as key to good health.
Sound is a type of energy which is generated by any vibrating object. It has two types i.e. pleasant and unpleasant. Music comes under the category of pleasant sound. So, one can define music as the organization of sounds with respect to time. Other defines it as an urge which compels them to shake their bodies as per the beat of sound. Music is relationship between a person, his conduct and the sounding entity. It’s an art of combining sound in harmonic manner with proper sequences of notes in such a way that people find it interesting and ear pleasing.
To appreciate the beauty and calmness of music one does not require any expertise or acquaintance with the technical terms of music. It is definitely not correct that technical people should stop listening to music but one cannot deny from the fact that learning and understanding music makes it more pleasurable and interesting. After leaning the music you can easily feel how the music is composed or how it is formed. Deeper knowledge of music enriches the listening experiences. Description of some terminology used in music are given below which will be helpful in recognizing it.
It is basically a sound quality or tone colour which distinguishes instruments. Bright, brilliant, dark, rich, shrill, mellow, strained etc are the terms which is used to describe the timber. Suppose we play “S” on piano and sing “S” by our mouth with the same pitch then we see that voice produced by us and the sound produced by piano is not same. This is because each musical device generates its own typical sound patterns and consequent “overtones” which results in a peculiar “tone colour” or timber.
The upper portion or compass of a guitar will produce sound with brilliant timber and the lower register will give the dark and rich timber. Contrast in tone colour produces a highlight to newly composed melody.
Almost all songs are remembered by their melody. It is a mixture of rhythm and pitch in time. We can say that melody is the theme of a composition. In other words it is a linear series of pitches. Melody is classified on the basis of its contour and size of time gap. Some scales are present like traditional major or minor scales music from which melody can be derived.
Conjunct and disjunct are the basic classification of it. The melody which is considered as smooth and having small intervals are called conjunct melody. It is also easy to play and song. Disjunct melody has large intervals and quite difficult to play and sing. A motif can be defined as a melody which is either a very short melody or a distinctive part of a longer melody. Example of motific cell is the starting four notes of Fifth Symphony of Beethoven.
Texture can be referred as the number of different individual lines of music and the relationship these lines share with one another. There are various types of texture present which are given below.
- Monophonic:-It has one melody without any harmony. Rock music rarely includes it.
- Homophonic:-It comes into existence when two or more than two notes are producing simultaneously at the same time. Homophonic texture mainly features a major melody in the upper portion accompanied by a less complicated harmony underneath. Rock music generally uses this texture.
- Polyphonic:-Music having two or more than two melodies producing at the same time is called polyphonic texture. In other words it is a collection of similar type of voices. We can see the polyphonic texture in Renaissance.
- Antiphonal:-When two or more groups are performing one by one at back and forth then antiphonal texture is produced. This texture is prominently used in Rock-and-Roll music.
- Collage:-It is mainly superimposition of two or more totally different sounds or textures.
Dynamics is a property of sound which measures degree of softness and loudness in music. The loudness or softness depends upon the amplitude of vibration. A louder sound is produced when strings of guitar are plucked hard. Music is supposed to have wider range of dynamics if it has both the properties i.e. extreme loudness and extreme softness. Dynamics of music can change all on a sudden or slowly.
- Crescendo:-When loudness is increasing gradually then it is called crescendo. It gives the feeling of excitement.
- Decrescendo:-It is gradual decrease of loudness of music. It gives a sense of calmness.
Harmony can be defined as the verticalization of different pitches. It is a phenomenon of combining tones of different pitches. Some of these combination results in good output some in bad. Relative harshness defines harmony of music.
- Dissonance:-If we get a harsh-sounding as a resultant of harmonic combination then it is called dissonance.
- Consonance:-It is a soft and smooth sounding harmony.
The combination of tones which go well together is called harmonic sequence. So, harmonic sequence is a set of various notes which are produced naturally.
It gives the flow of music with respect to time. In other words it is the time element of music. When you dance as per the beat of song then it means you are trying to match your dance with the rhythm of the song. Music festivals happening around the world shows the importance of music through globe. Duration, beat, meter and tempo are the several correlated aspects of rhythm.
- Duration:-It gives a measure of the duration of music that is how much time a sound takes to persist or last.
- Beat:-Divides music into equal intervals with respect to time.
- Tempo:-Tempo gives the speed of beat means number of beats in unit time.
- Meter:-It is an organized repetitive pattern of strong beats along with some weak beat in between.
Learning the music boosts your experience of listening to music. Many renowned persons like Charles Darwin, Einstein had knelt before the beauty of music. It not only gives us calmness or bliss but also improves our health by lowering the stress. So, one must listen music to enjoy the beauty of nature.